Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Three days to go Teach With Africa- Liberation

Packing up at our farm in the Catskill Mountains. It's hot and sunny. I am packing up for a cool and not so sunny time in South Africa. I have gathered lots of materials both real and digital and I am getting ready for my two workshops, Light Up- paper circuits and Word Clouds and Visualizing Data- websites Wordle & Gapminder.

I am excited and humbled by the program. I want to be able to offer useful information for teachers grades K-12 and I am surely going to learn a lot from  all of them about their work, it's joys and difficulties.

I have tried to read some things this summer, a memoir Shirley, Goodness and Mercy by Chris Van Wyk as well as collections of folk tales gathered by Hugh Tracey and Nelson Mandela. I am hoping to hear some more about poetry and literature that the students study from the teachers I will be working with.

I like this poster that a friend, David Rosas- an administrator at Mott School in NYC, posted on his facebook account.  Let the liberation begin.


Thanks for all the support from Burkes, my siblings––Libby, Wilder and Dolly–– and my dear cousins, Tom, Myrna and Ellen and my dear friends, Susan and Leland. But most especially thanks to my biggest fan, Daniel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment